Saturday, January 29, 2011

Club What?


There's a big thing amongst kids at the moment. Well, it has been around since 2005, but after Disney bought it in 2007, it has really taken off. This "thing" is what is commonly known around our house as "Clubby" or Club Penguin.

Club Penguin seems to become popular through word of mouth. I ask many parents if their kids play it, and 80% of the time I get "Club What?". When the other 20% react it's met with "oh yes! Club Penguin! I can't pull my kids away from it!". Our neighbour's children introduced us to it, and they too, are very keen players.


Club Penguin in an online interactive game designed for children from 6-14 years of age. It is regarded as a safe social site for kids, where they can engage in a plethora of games from retro style arcade games like Thin Ice, to the funky DJ3K, where they can mix their own music. There are online stories and opportunities to meet other children (via Penguin) from all over the world. Kids earn points or rather coins with each game, and with these coins, they can then "purchase" virtual items for their penguins, their "avatar" in cyberspace. Furthermore, for kids in the know, they can purchase soft toys, books and figurines as collectibles. And, with each of those toys or books, comes a bonus coin with a special code that gives you even more coins to buy stuff in this magical cyber-world. To buy the really "cool stuff" you have to become a "team member".


Generally, the game is quite cute and harmless. But, it has been met with some criticism. Particularly in teaching young kids about consumerism. I must say that I sit on both sides of the fence with that issue. On one hand, my now 5 year old son can read numbers well into the thousands, his literacy and numeracy has increased and he is learning quite a lot through play. In regard to money, he has learnt that if you want to buy something in this world, you have to save for it. On the other hand, every trip to the shops is met by "can I buy another penguin? I need another coin!". He does use his own pocket money, and he does save for it, but still, it takes precedence on a lot of shopping trips. The team member concept is a seductive marketing ploy and it works. Guess what my son wanted for Christmas?


So, what to do? Generally, I like Club Penguin. I can see how it has engaged my children, and my son in particular. It is constantly improving his literacy and numeracy skills through play. But the marketing side of it, I am in two minds. Basically, it's a matter, like with any "new toy" to keep a balance.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. My son has been looking for something like this seeing as I think he's too young for Facebook! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete