Monday, January 3, 2011

So, it's raining outside? If you can't beat it, sing!

I had a grand idea about writing an elaborate and more critical entry over this rather wet and rainy holiday period, but this is it for the moment....


These Christmas holidays, my children discovered Singin' in the Rain on television and they were completely and utterly sold. My daughter started watching the film on her way to bed. She was captivated. The next thing I knew, she was giggling like crazy as Donald O'Conner sang Make em Laugh. I let her stay up to watch the whole film, as her excitement in this classic musical was gorgeous!

I then remembered that we gave their grandparents a DVD of Singin' in the Rain a couple of Christmases ago! So, after she told her little brother all about this fantastic film that she saw the night before, they then begged us to borrow it from their grandparents. I woke up this morning to find them both completely and utterly absorbed in the film. All day today my daughter has been singing "good morning, good morning, we've talked the whole night through..." and my son has been impersonating Donald O'Connor's crazy antics.

The age of this movie was of no issue to my children at all. They know a good musical when they see it.

There's something about singing and dancing in the movies or on television that is just exciting, romantic and just plain grand! That is large part of the Glee's success....


Glee just has that thing happening. There's nothing like a contemporary reworking and a homage to a classic. This particular routine did get some mixed reactions from fans, but if anything, it has a lot of people looking up the original on YouTube.


I'll have to get the kids take on this excerpt tomorrow.

My son is a huge fan of Artie's Safety Dance that he caught on YouTube a while back now... That's a whole new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment